Thursday, December 13, 2012

Branding Poker Hands: The Death Card


"The Ace of Spades! The Ace of Spades! If you like to gamble, I tell you I'm your man!..."

Alright, enough of that.

This is my design for the ace of spades, otherwise known as the Death Card. I designed it strictly by name and the design of the card itself. The ace of spades features a large spade in the middle of the card, so that features in the logo. I made the letter A in DEATH larger, A obviously standing for "Ace."

I chose the Didot typeface for its Modern elegant feel. It is a type that, to me, seems straight to the point — so it is with death. I wanted the association with elegance because the large spade on the card itself is, generally, an ornately designed. I did not include any ornate elements here as I thought the notion of death is straightforward and not ornamented at all. I did apply a texture to the spade so it would look a little rougher, but not to the edges; I thought those should remain sharp.

No comments:

Post a Comment