Thursday, December 13, 2012

Branding Poker Hands: Hockey Sticks


Another logo designed for the name, "hockey sticks" is a term given for pocket 7s because, well, the resemble hockey sticks. Upside down.

My plan was to design this logo in the style of a sports logo — not necessarily for a professional team so much as for a local or minor team. The 7s are Helvetica Neue Bold as the 7s seemed to work best for what I sketched out initially. I rotated them 180 degrees and turned them into a mask. Within the mask, I drew out the tape for the handle and the face of the stick. Without masking, it would have proven difficult to get the tape to line up exactly with the edge of the 7.

Many sports teams employ a circle or ring in their logo with type around the circle. I chose blue for the ring as it complimented the brown of the hockey sticks.

After browsing a number of typefaces I settled on Agency, widely kerned. for the "hockey sticks" typeface. It seemed to fit the best for the application.

No comments:

Post a Comment